The term obstetrics stands for the study and practice of surgeries relating to childbirth and during pregnancy. Postnatal care also comes under an obstetrician, whereas a study of the health of a woman’s reproductive system is done by a gynaecologist. Usually, a person experienced in the field of gynaecology is also experienced in the field of obstetrics. A person who has studied both obstetrics and gynaecology also has a number of other sub specialities that include but are not limited to-
- maternal fetal medicine- it focuses on the medical and surgical management of high-risk pregnancies.
- Reproductive endocrinology and infertility – it focuses on the biological causes and treatments of infertility.
- Gynaecology oncology- it focuses on women who are pregnant and have ovarian cancer.
What conditions are treated by OBY-GYNs?
OBY-GYNs treat a number of conditions after evaluating them thoroughly. You can visit an Obstetrician & Gynecologist in Indore for any of the following reasons-
- Abnormal bleeding
- Pain in the pelvic region
- Abnormal itching in the genital region
- Urinary incontinence
- Vaginal infections
- Breast disorders
- Hormonal disorders
When to visit an obstetrician & gynaecologist ?
One should visit a gynaecologist doctor once a year at least for regular checkups even when they aren’t experiencing and reproduction problems as the best way to treat any health and medical issues are with preventive care. Also, in addition to visiting your gynae doctor once a year, they should also be contacted when changes in your monthly cycle occur.